Purpose: To provide financial assistance and recognition to a qualified student in an accredited program in health management, health information technology, management programs with a health focus, or technology programs with a health focus.
Program Structure, Eligibility and Award Criteria: A ($3,000) scholarship will be offered to one student in an undergraduate or graduate program.
- A Scholarship will be offered to a student in the following types of programs:
- Health information management/technology
- Health management, with a focus in information management/technology
- Clinical programs with a focus in information management/technology
- Health science programs with a focus in information management/technology
- Business management programs with a focus in health information management/technology
- Management science programs with a focus in health information management/technology
- Other types of degree programs which emphasize health information management/technology
- Participation is open to students who are enrolled in a degree program in an accredited college or university.
- Eligibility for a scholarship award will be based upon the following criteria:
- Individual submission of scholarship application
- Two letters of professional recommendations accompany the application. These should be from individuals that are familiar with the student’s work such as a work supervisor or college professor
- A short essay (up to two pages) that addresses:
- why information management/technology is important in healthcare today,
- why the student has chosen the field, and
- discussion of a major issue facing the health industry and how information technology can address the issue
- Grade point average at or above 3.0. The most recent, official transcript must be included with the scholarship application.
- Criteria for Evaluation of application and award of the scholarship will include, at a minimum:
- Meets or exceeds grade point criterion
- Quality of recommendations
- Quality of applicants essay
- Student is a member of SC HIMSS
2020 Scholarship Schedule:
|Scholarship applications due||May 25, 2020|
|Select award recipient||June 12, 2020|
|Notify award recipient||June 15, 2020|
|Announce to Chapter||June 22, 2020|
|Remit scholarship to school||By July 1, 2020|
Awardees will be notified by mail and/or email. Please send a completed application to the SC HIMSS Scholarship member via electronic submission or postal service:
Name: Shannon Sommers
Address 309 Whispering Cypress
City, State, Zip Charleston, SC 29414
Email address email@example.com
In addition to receiving a monetary scholarship, the awardee will be designated as Student Liaison with a seat on the SC HIMSS Board. The Board values the scholarship experience you just had and will ask that you be a member of the Scholarship committee. You will be obligated to participate in monthly board calls/meetings for at least 50% of the year and serve as a member of the selection committee for the subsequent year.